Laser Acne and Scar Treatments
Whether you are a teenager or middle aged, acne can be embarrassing, annoying, and uncomfortable. Our FDA-approved Smoothbeam laser can kill your acne. It kills it at the root, deep beneath the surface of the skin. Good bye acne. And scars? See ya too!
How Laser Acne and Scar Treatments Work:
The light of the Smoothbeam laser targets the subaceous glands in your skin. The blast from this Class IV, medical grade laser destroys any unwanted clogs and bacteria at the root. We target each outbreak and the muck and junk that’s stuck in your skin surrenders.
Imagine what happens when a pipe that is blocked and starts to back up into the sink. When that clog is removed, the water runs smoothly and clearly through the pipe, and all the junk that was stuck flushes out. Our laser is amazing at clearing out the clogs, which results in healthy functioning pores and clearer skin. Yippee!
An optimum acne treatment would have long-lasting effectiveness in the control of active disease, improve acne scarring, have few local or systemic side effects, and be acceptable to patients. We’ve experienced amazing results with our Smoothbeam; clients overwhelmingly report that their laser treatments for inflammatory acne vulgarism have improved their conditions after a single treatment of the face, and there is a minimum of a 50% reduction in the appearance of acne. In addition, acne scars appear to reduce in appearance.
Preparation for the Treatment:
1. Do NOT pluck or wax for a week prior to your treatment.
2. DO shave the day prior to your laser treatment. There will be an additional charge if we need to shave you.
3. Avoid being in the sun without sunscreen on the area(s) you’re having treated for 10 days prior to your treatment. This includes sunless tanning products, tanning beds, and spray tanning. PLEASE stay out of a tanning bed or away from spray tan or sunless tanning products AT LEAST 10 days prior to your treatment. If you get spray tanned, please exfoliate any area we will be zapping prior to your treatment.
4. Also, don’t use prescribed Retin A on the area(s) to be treated for 7 days prior to your treatment, and be careful not to get a chemical peel or injection on any area we will be zapping for at least 7 days prior to your treatment (if you get Juvederm or any other similar filler, please consult your injector about the time you should wait before getting a laser treatment).
5. If you have used Accutane in the past, you must have been off this product for at least six months prior to the treatment. If you currently take any prescribed acne medication, you’ll need to get your doctor’s permission in order to receive a laser treatment.
6. We do not perform laser treatments on pregnant women.
8. Your appointment will be confirmed via an email reminder, as well as a text message from our office, no later than the day prior to your appointment. Please arrive a few minutes before your scheduled time. Because appointments often take less than ten minutes, if you are running more than 10 minutes late for your appointment, we will have to reschedule your appointment. If this happens, or if you should need to cancel your appointment on the same day of your treatment (or if you forget about it) or are unable to give us an 18-hour notice that you need to change or cancel your appointment, you will be assessed a minimum of $35 per 15-minutes we have scheduled for your appointment. If you have too recent sun exposure and we are unable to do your treatment, or if you have too recent sun exposure and we have to reschedule your appointment, you will be assessed a fee of a minimum of $35 per 15-minute time period we have reserved for you.
During the Treatment:
Since you’ll be bringing in your completed forms, our technician will review your history and answer all your questions. You’ll need to remove clothing from any area we’re treating. We’ll ensure there is no hair present on the area(s) we’re treating, then clean the area to be treated. We’ll calibrate the laser based on your skin type, then you and the technician will don the appropriate safety goggles. Let the zapping begin! If you find the treatment too intense, or if you have a low tolerance for pain, there is a topical anesthetic available for purchase from our office.
Length of Time for the Treatment:
A typical treatment on the face takes only about 15 minutes. Larger areas will take longer.
After the Treatment:
After a laser acne treatment, your skin may probably be very red, and the active acne sites may be inflamed and sore. Your skin will be sensitive to the sun, so you’ll apply sunscreen before you leave our office. We have sunscreen for your use, so don’t worry about bringing in your own (though you can if you want). You will be able to go about your life after the treatment, and you can shower, apply makeup, etc., although you may feel a bit self-conscious because of the inflammation. Post treatment aftercare instructions are found here.
“My son’s acne is better. He won’t admit it, but he’s a happier teenager now.”
“They all do a great job of explaining the procedure. Very informative.”
“This laser changed my life. I’m 32 years old and have had horrible acne and scars for half of my life. After just one treatment, my husband said he noticed a huge improvement. I did too. I’ve now had four treatments and my skin is almost completely smooth – even the scars are gone!”